DISCLAIMER: I use my own lore, worldbuilding, headcanons, and redesigns for the Sonic Franchise. For example, Knuckles is fat and has breasts (bc trans/intersex), Shadow has a long tail, etc. If something doesn't line up with canon, that's why. Sonic canon is super wonky and inconsistent anyway, so I take a lot of liberties with it. You have the right to disagree with any of the choices and changes to canon I make in this fic. In fact, tell me why you disagree in the comments! I love engaging in literary debate and listening to other people's interpretations of the same thing. Just don't be mean about it.

My main goal with this fic is to get my favorite guys to kiss in the most organic way possible, since I'm pretty dissatisfied with the quality of fic in the wider shipping sphere of the Sonic fandom. And also to put them in Situations.

Special thanks to Staples for beta'ing this episode!

Episode 1: I Don't Think We're in Green Hill Anymore, Tails

INT. EGGMAN BASE TESTING CHAMBER - DAY

The elaborate machine containing the CHAOS EMERALDS and MASTER EMERALD pulses ominously. EGGMAN cackles dramatically, overconfident in his latest diabolical scheme.

EGGMAN

With all 7 CHAOS EMERALDS, and the MASTER EMERALD, I'll finally be able to take over MOBIUS— no, with the EMERALDS' multidimensional properties... the entire multiverse!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

(interrupting)

Let's not get overzealous here, Egghead! Why don't you try conquering one world first?

EGGMAN leers at SONIC. KNUCKLES THE ECHIDNA and SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG stand behind SONIC in fighting position, ready to take back the EMERALDS.

EGGMAN

Just you wait and see, rodent. With the power I currently wield, taking over MOBIUS will be nothing but child's play!

SONIC rubs his nose with determination.

SONIC

We'll see about that! KNUCKLES, SHADOW— let's do this!

The spiny trio race for the machine. Dozens of EGGBOTS try to stop them, but they take them down easily.

SONIC rolls around the EGGBOTS, tripping them up and spin-dashing a gaping hole through their chests. KNUCKLES swings his fists at the bots, launching them into the air. SHADOW teleports behind the bots and roundhouse kicks them in the back of their "necks," knocking their heads clean off.

Finally, after barreling through what seems like an endless amount of EGGBOTS, SONIC, KNUCKLES, and SHADOW arrive at the foot of the mountainous machine. The CHAOS EMERALDS orbit the MASTER EMERALD, getting faster and faster every time they loop around the MASTER EMERALD.

SONIC looks up at the EMERALDS with a steady determination.

SONIC

Hey, Knux! Gimme a boost!

KNUCKLES holds his palms out for the hedgehogs to jump onto. SONIC balls up and hops into KNUCKLES' hand. SHADOW goes with the flow and mimics SONIC.

KNUCKLES launches the hedgehogs high into the air, as close to the base platform as he can manage. As soon as he chucks them, he digs his spikes in and starts scaling the machine. The CHAOS EMERALDS are spinning so fast they've become a white ring, and the MASTER EMERALD is spinning like a top.

Overwhelming power exudes from the EMERALDS, blowing SONIC and SHADOW away from the platform. They manage to just barely uncurl and grab onto the platform in time. They struggle to hold on, fighting against the relentless noise.

SHADOW

(to himself)

So… loud…

EGGMAN

(cackling evilly)

Yes… yes! The Emeralds are outputting incredible amounts of power! They'll be opening a portal soon— I just know it!

Knuckles finally makes it to the top of the pedestal, resisting the EMERALDS' chaotic wind. He wedges his spiked knuckles deep into the metal to keep himself grounded. The room starts to deteriorate, metal panels ripping off the walls and reality itself distorting.

Suddenly, a bright light swallows SONIC, KNUCKLES, and SHADOW whole, and then—

FADE IN:

EXT. WAMEGO, KANSAS, SUBURBAN GRASSY FIELD - DAY

SONIC lays passed out on his back in the grass. As he comes to, he registers the sun's heat bearing down on him. He opens his eyes just a crack, then immediately squeezes them shut again when bright sunlight invades his corneas.

SONIC rubs his eyes with his fingers, preparing them to take in the sunlight. He tries to get up, but he's hit with a wave of dizziness. Static floods his vision and he almost topples over.

After riding out the dizzy spell for a few moments, SONIC is finally able to get up. He looks around, finding himself in a sparse Uzamerican suburban neighborhood.

SONIC stretches his aching muscles out. As he does so, he takes in the scenery. There's approximately nine cookie-cutter single family houses lined up in a row to his right, and a cluster of trees (far too small to be called a forest) to his left.

SONIC'S ear flicks to a rustle coming from the tree cluster. Out of the woodwork comes KNUCKLES, with multiple twigs and leaves sticking out of his dreadlocks. His irritated look softens slightly when he sees SONIC.

KNUCKLES

SONIC!

KNUCKLES jogs over to SONIC.

SONIC

(smiling)

Hey, KNUCKLES. Glad to see you're still alive.

KNUCKLES

What the heck just happened? Where are the CHAOS EMERALDS? And the MASTER EMERALD…

SONIC

I dunno. They probably split up again.

KNUCKLES

Damn…!

SONIC shrugs, not bothered by the situation but not apathetic towards it either.

SONIC

Hey, don't worry. Let's focus on finding TAILS, AMY, and the others first. They'll make searching for the MASTER EMERALD easier.

KNUCKLES nods, concern for his friends climbing high on his list of priorities next to finding the MASTER EMERALD.

KNUCKLES

Alright.

SONIC

Speaking of friends… where's SHADOW?

SONIC and KNUCKLES look around and find SHADOW passed out in the middle of the road. An oncoming truck barrels forward, threatening to hit SHADOW. SONIC swiftly snatches SHADOW'S body from the road, bringing them safely into the grass. The truck drives by unwaveringly.

SHADOW finally stirs. He pulls himself out of SONIC'S arms, riding out a pounding headache.

SHADOW

SONIC… the EMERALDS… what happened…?

SONIC

Welcome back to the land of the living, SHADOW. EGGMAN'S machine went haywire and teleported us to who-knows-where. You okay?

SHADOW steadily pulls himself up with the same serious expression he always wears.

SHADOW

Of course I am.

SONIC

Glad to hear. I'm headin' home.

SHADOW

What about the EMERALDS?

SONIC

Go ahead and search for them if you want, but I'm making sure my friends are okay first. Also, I have a feeling Rouge and Omega might be worried about you, too. Why don't you check in with them?

SHADOW visibly contemplates this for a moment.

SHADOW

I'll be fine. They have nothing to worry about.

SONIC shrugs.

SONIC

Suit yourself.

SONIC rendezvous back to KNUCKLES.

SONIC

SHADOW'S alright— let's go!

The duo search the area for their friends, calling their names in an effort to locate them.

SONIC

TAILS! AMY! Can you guys hear us?

KNUCKLES

TAILS! AMY!

After a couple more calls, SONIC stops to point something out.

SONIC

Hang on, KNUX. Now that I'm really paying attention, I don't think we're anywhere near EGGMAN'S base.

KNUCKLES doesn't respond.

SONIC

...KNUX?

KNUCKLES points at the green CHAOS EMERALD floating shakily in midair.

KNUCKLES

EMERALD!

SONIC

Oh crap!

SONIC and KNUCKLES immediately lunge for the EMERALD, but it zips right out their grasp. It dodges every time they try to swipe it, zigging and zagging about.

SONIC is finally able to catch it. As soon as his fingers wrap around the EMERALD, it jettisons off at breakneck speed.

SONIC is yanked around the streets of the small town they ended up in, grazing corners and just barely dodging unsuspecting bystanders. A woman is subject to an unfortunate trope and spills all her groceries onto the sidewalk when SONIC zooms past.

SONIC eventually barrels right into someone, that someone being SHADOW, straight through a bright green building, wrecking the place. The EMERALD slips from SONIC'S grasp in the crash, dashing away.

INT. WRECKED OZ MUSEUM FRONT DESK - DAY

The hedgehogs groan in pain and annoyance— mostly annoyance.

SONIC

Guess the EMERALDS aren't in the mood to help out right now…

SHADOW

What is your problem, SONIC? Why did you run into me?

SONIC

It's not my fault! The CHAOS EMERALD went berserk!

SHADOW

You found a CHAOS EMERALD? Where?

SONIC

…It flew off.

SHADOW

Flew off? That's not right.

SONIC

I know, right? Usually they're so nice to me…

Elsewhere, a police officer, who happens to be near the museum, notices the explosion and runs over to check it out. They see SONIC and SHADOW among the wreckage and immediately assume the worst.

POLICE OFFICER (O.S.)

Put your hands where I can see 'em!

The hedgehogs notice the police officer pointing a gun at them.

SONIC

We should get outta here.

SHADOW

Agreed.

The hedgehogs skedaddle at incredible speed— from the bystander's perspectives anyway. To SONIC and SHADOW, it's barely a light jog.

EXT. TOWN STREET - DAY

Conveniently they happen to run into KNUCKLES (not as literally this time), who was looking for SONIC after he was dragged away by the EMERALD.

KNUCKLES

There you are, SONIC! What—

SONIC

No time, KNUX! Cop's on our tail!

SONIC grabs KNUCKLES and the trio find temporary solace in a thrift shop. Nestling between some clothing racks, they take a breather.

INT. THRIFT SHOP - DAY

SONIC

So, recap— we were fighting EGGMAN, who stole the CHAOS EMERALDS and put them in a big machine—

KNUCKLES

And the MASTER EMERALD.

SONIC

And the MASTER EMERALD, yeah, it's a CHAOS EMERALD, too. EGGMAN put them all in a big machine which exploded and teleported us to who-knows-where. Now the CHAOS EMERALDS, or at least one of them, are acting super weird and jittery.

SHADOW

They're highly unstable after the machine malfunctioned, more than usual. The teleportation must've caused a botched Chaos Control, sending us here.

SONIC

Right.

KNUCKLES

When we were in that room with the machine… I could hear them.

SONIC and SHADOW fall silent to pay attention to KNUCKLES.

KNUCKLES

They were… screaming. It was so loud. I never heard them make a sound like that.

SHADOW

I know what you're talking about. I heard them, too.

SONIC

Well, that's creepy.

KNUCKLES

I can still hear them now… They sound confused. But also angry. It's… distant and garbled—

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

How may I help you young gentlemen?

The THRIFT SHOP OWNER comes out of nowhere, startling the trio. Their spines stick out, getting stuck in the clothes.

SONIC

Nothing important, ma'am! We were just on our way!

As SONIC says this, he steps out of the rack. The THRIFT SHOP OWNER yelps in shock, averting her eyes.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Goodness!

SONIC

Huh? What's wrong?

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Why aren't you wearing any clothing!? …Because we have a great deal on jackets this week. But that's not the point!

SONIC

Clothes?

SONIC looks himself over.

SONIC

What're you talkin' about?

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

You're naked! Why are you naked?

SONIC

Naked? Well, I guess I technically am, but I thought the fur made up for it.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Fur? What on earth are you talking about?

SONIC

...I have a feeling we're on different wavelengths here.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Well, since you most certainly need clothes (and a mental doctor), you've come to the right place. We have plenty, as you can see.

SONIC

Don't think we need those. I'll just get going—

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Oh no, you don't! You will not be going out like that! (notices KNUCKLES and SHADOW trying to sneak away) Your friends, too!

The THRIFT SHOP OWNER grabs and drags the trio over to the dressing room, throwing them inside.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

You all wait here while I get you something to wear. Don't try to escape! I'll know!

The THRIFT SHOP OWNER leaves to pick out the clothes.

SONIC

Okay, she's gone, let's get outta here!

KNUCKLES nods, about to follow SONIC, when SHADOW stops them.

SHADOW

Wait. Look in the mirror.

The other two give a quick glance to the mirror, then a full-blown stare. In the mirror are three humans staring back at them, eyes wide in equal disbelief.

SONIC

Hang on. Is that... us?

The blue-haired boy in the mirror imitates SONIC'S lip flaps perfectly. SHADOW reaches a hand out and presses a palm against the black-haired boy's own.

SHADOW

It could be.

KNUCKLES

Ehh!? That's so freaky! Where's my fur?

SONIC

That must be what we look like to the lady, which is why she freaked out. Humans are really sensitive about being "naked."

KNUCKLES

If I didn't have any fur, feathers, scales, or a hide and my junk hung on the outside, I'd be sensitive about it, too. Did the explosion do this? Then why do we still look normal to each other?

SONIC

That I have absolutely no clue. Woah, look at my tail!

SONIC'S mirror tail is hairless and bony, like it was lasered off— out of place on a human and a hedgehog. KNUCKLES looks at his own tail, which has the same features.

KNUCKLES

Ew, that looks so wrong.

SHADOW

My tail is shorter in the mirror... why is that?

Before the trio can ponder any more on their new appearances, the THRIFT SHOP OWNER comes in with a pile of clothes in her arms, dropping it all onto the floor.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Here. You can choose from this pile. (to herself) I'm fairly certain teenagers like these kinds of clothes, right?

SONIC

Uh— thanks!

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

I'll give you three some space. Sorry about the tiny dressing room— we only have one.

SONIC

It's no problem!

The THRIFT SHOP OWNER leaves again. The trio begin picking clothes out of the pile. A matching set of a pink shirt and baseball cap with an M logo catches SONIC'S eye. He puts them on, feeling hip in his new (incredibly oversized) clothes.

SONIC

Lookin' good.

Suddenly, SHADOW tosses a pair of boxers and pale blue shorts at SONIC, hitting him smack in the back of the head with them.

SONIC

Wh— hey!

SHADOW

Cover that up. No one wants to see that.

SONIC

Cover what up!?

SHADOW gestures downward. SONIC looks down and realizes.

SONIC

Ohhh, right. I forgot humans are sensitive about that sort of thing, too...

SONIC puts the boxers and shorts on, one at a time. When his tail gets in the way, he resolves to stuffing it down one of the pant holes.

SONIC (V.O.)

(They still feel weird, but they're better full-length pants.)

KNUCKLES finds a large cowboy hat and a couple of extra large patterned shawls in the pile. He wraps the shawls in a way that covers the necessary bits and wouldn't fall off when moving a lot.

SHADOW picks the coolest looking pieces in the pile and puts all of them on with no regard to cohesion or complement, thinking that the individual coolness of each piece will tally up into the Ultimate Cool Outfit. With a flaming leather jacket, a badass biker skeleton t-shirt, and ripped jeans, he is sure to look awesome and intimidating.

He had to wear the pants backwards, though, as they didn't accommodate his tail so his next best option was to have it hang out of the entirely unzipped opening. They're held up by a belt that leaves a long trail behind due to his tiny waist. He pulls his oversized shirt over his tail to cover it up, knowing others would stare at such an anomaly.

With their outfits coordinated, the trio walk out of the dressing room with newfound swagger. The THRIFT SHOP OWNER looks satisfied as well.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Why, look at you two! So handsome! (to KNUCKLES) And you're quite lovely yourself, young lady!

KNUCKLES

I'm a guy.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Oh! My apologies, young man.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER (CONT.)

By the way, I've been meaning to ask— what were you three doing huddled naked in my racks?

KNUCKLES

Uh— well, you see—

SONIC

A bunch of guys mugged us. Stole almost everything we had on us, including our clothes. We rushed to the closest hiding spot we could find to hide our shame.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Good lord! You poor things!

SONIC

They also stole our wallets, too… does that mean we can't keep the clothes?

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Keep them! What happened to you was horrible! You should report to the police right away— I have a phone if you need it.

SONIC

No need, ma'am. You've already done enough for us.

The trio make their way out of the shop against the protests of the OWNER, careful to avoid the cops.

EXT. TOWN STREET - DAY

KNUCKLES

SONIC, why did you lie to her?

SONIC

Trying to explain we're actually two hedgehogs and an echidna cursed to look like humans thanks to a bunch of magic rocks that got destabilized by a mad scientist is way too much for a normal old lady to handle.

SONIC (V.O.)

(Don't think she would've believed me if I said I was SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, either.)

SHADOW

And you expected her to believe the mugging story and let us have these clothes for free?

SONIC

Why not? She seemed like a nice lady.

KNUCKLES reluctantly makes peace with it while SHADOW still thinks SONIC'S actions are questionable.

SONIC

The most important question right now is… where the heck are we?

KNUCKLES

Maybe you should've asked the lady.

SONIC

Ah damn, you're right. I'm gonna go do that.

SHADOW

What? You're going back?

SONIC

Yeah? Why wouldn't I?

SHADOW

...Nevermind.

SONIC goes back to ask the lady where they are.

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

Oh! Welcome back!

SONIC

Hey! So one last thing— where is this place?

THRIFT SHOP OWNER

You don't know where you are? Poor things, those thieves must've hit you very hard! You're in the little town of Wamego Kansas, a ways northwest of Topeka.

SONIC

Cool, thanks again!

SONIC goes back to KNUCKLES and SHADOW.

SONIC

We're in Wamego, Kansas!

KNUCKLES

What the hell's a Wamego, Kansas??

SONIC

No idea!

KNUCKLES

Eh!? You don't know!? I thought you've been everywhere!

SONIC

Not here. The CHAOS EMERALDS must've sent us really far. Maybe even another world!

SHADOW

Another world?

SONIC

Hey, it's happened before!

KNUCKLES

Now that I think about it... I've had a feeling something's off about this place, but I don't know why. The... energy is weird, or something, I dunno. It's hard to describe.

SHADOW

If this is another world, that's going to be a problem.

SONIC

Then let's check to really make sure we know where we are. I'm sure if I run around the area a bunch I'll recognize a landmark or something. If not—

While SONIC is talking, SHADOW takes in more of the scene, searching for anything that could suggest another world. Then he looks up.

SHADOW

SONIC. Look up.

SONIC

Huh?

SHADOW

Look. Up.

The trio all look up at the sky. The perfect blue expanse stretches across the dome.

SONIC

Wh... where's THERA?

KNUCKLES

And IXCHEL! And MĒTZTLI!

SHADOW

"IXCHEL?"

SONIC

Those are his names for SELENA and ORTIMISE.

FLASH BACK:

Three shots of the trio's original world, MOBIUS. The first is an establishing shot of the entire system, which is a two-planet system (EARTH and THERA) with seven moons wrapped in a figure-eight belt. Next, it switches to a point of view on EARTH's surface looking up at the daytime sky, which prominently shows THERA, the second planet, and the two largest moons, SELENA and ORTIMISE (along with two much smaller barely noticeable moons DIANE and LUNNA). SELENA a noticeably large crater and thin dust ring, caused by EGGMAN shooting the SPACE COLONY A.R.K.'s Eclipse Cannon at it. Finally, it zooms in on just SELENA and ORTIMISE, with THERA behind them.

SONIC (V.O.)

(speaking over flashback)

But anyways, yeah! Where are they? The sky's so empty without them.

BACK TO PRESENT:

SHADOW

Well, if you were looking for evidence of another world, there it is.

A moment of awe and newfound dread washes over the trio.

KNUCKLES

How are we going to get home?

SHADOW

We need to find the CHAOS EMERALDS. I'm going after the one we saw earlier.

Then, without another word, SHADOW disappears, leaving a gust of wind behind.

KNUCKLES

What the—!? That jerk just blew us off!

SONIC just sighs.

SONIC

He's got a point, though. The CHAOS EMERALDS are our best shot at getting us home, if we can find them. (competitive smirk) Are we gonna let SHADOW beat us to it?

KNUCKLES changes from an indignant to a competitive expression.

KNUCKLES

Hell no!

SONIC

That's what I like to hear. Let's go!

The hedgehog and echidna go on to explore this strange new world.

Finally got this problem child of a fic out, and on my own website, too! If you want to talk to me about this fic or any others outside here feel free to harass me on Tumblr.